I’ve been experimenting with online Savings Sites and I’ve become an avid user. Before starting this blog, I was only aware of Upromise. Now, however, I realize there are all kinds of rebate sites where you can do your online shopping for cash back. Upromise is just one of those sites with a college savings twist.
Here is my experience with my favorite cash back rebate site, along with some information about others I have used.
First of all, two points that seem to be the same for all of these sites:
- Offers take a while to show up in your account. Anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.
- Once they show up in your account they are in pending status. The norm seems to be about 90 days, although some companies (like Dell) take longer.
Mr. Rebates is my favorite site and the one I have used most often. I have used Mr. Rebates to get cash back rebates on my shopping at Ballard Designs, Apple, and Barnes and Noble among others.
The Mr. Rebates site is well-organized and user-friendly. You can find rebates by browsing or searching through stores or products. There are thousands of stores to choose from, including many you probably already shop at like Target.com, Walmart.com, Overstock.com, and many more. Once you’ve selected a store, Mr. Rebates will also show you what online coupons are available for that store which will help you save even more money.
Cash back rebates from Mr. Rebates range from 1% to 30%. Examples of stores where you can receive some of the higher rebates are
- Carbonite (30% – this is one I have taken advantage of)
- The Wall Street Journal (20%)
- Snapfish (12%)
- Hooked on Phonics (10%)
- Birthday Express (10%)
- Magazines.com (25%0
- FTD (15%)
- Restaurant.com (25%)
- Symantec (15%)
- McAfee (12%)
- Gurney’s Seed and Nursery (10%)
- Entertainment Book (30%)
- ShoeBuy (12%)
- GNC (10%)
- Nutrisystem (10%)
- OxiClean and OrangeGlo (15%)
- PetCareRX (12%)
- 1800PetMeds (10%)
So you can see you can save significantly by visiting these sites via Mr. Rebates. And once you’ve linked to the site through Mr. Rebates, the rest of your shopping experience is exactly the same as if you had visited the site directly.
Mr. Rebates offers a $5.00 signup bonus just for registering at their site. Signup is free and the bonus is credited to your account right away so you start with some free money.
You must have $10 available in your account to request a payout. Payouts are done by check or Paypal at the first of every calendar month. I have received several payouts from Mr. Rebates using both methods and both times the payments came on time without a hitch. Mr. Rebates has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau so my experience can be considered the norm.
Mr. Rebates for Canadian residents and international customers.
Mr. Rebates is available to both Canadian residents and international customers. Canadian residents can be paid via check in US dollars or by Paypal which will be converted to Canadian currency. International residents can only be paid via Paypal and the payment will be converted to the international currency.
If you refer a new customer to Mr. Rebates, you will receive a referral commission of 20% of their rebate on any purchase they make. This is at absolutely no cost to them. Mr. Rebates pays your the commission as a thank you for referring a customer to them. The links in this blog post are referral links and a significant amount of my rebates at Mr. Rebates have come by referring others to the service.
Another way to make money at Mr. Rebates is by reviewing the stores where you have shopped. Mr. Rebates will pay you 50 cents for each review you do. The reviews consist of rating a few items on a scale of 1-10 and writing at least three sentences about the store. It can easily be done in a minute or two.
Other sites I’ve used and can recommend:
- $5 signup bonus and a payout by check or Paypal when your account reaches $10.
- Signup is free.
- Referral plan pays you a % of rebates for referrals, down three generations.
- No Better Business Bureau rating that I could find.
- I have used and been paid by Cashbaq.
- $5 signup bonus.
- Payout is made quarterly provided your account balance is $5.01 or more. If no, it rolls over to the next quarter. Payment methods include check or Paypal.
- Signup is free.
- Referral plan pays you $5 for each customer your refer who earns $5.01 in cashback rebates within 90 days of joining.
- Better Business Bureau rating of A+
- I have used and been paid by Ebates.